Main Article Content
Background: HIV testing programs have not been able to reach all populations at risk of HIV transmission. Lodging in adolescents vulnerable to HIV, program coverage is low. The purpose of this article is to identify various models of effective interventions that can improve the coverage of HIV testing among adolescents.
Methods: This study is a systematic literature review with a time frame from 2011 to the present, with a geographical reach across the country. Rate the quality of the research methodology conducted by several components of the assessment indicators.
Results: By keyword intervention strategies, increase coverage of HIV testing and adolescents 2343 articles obtained from a number of online journals database. Screening with inclusion criteria yielded 94 articles, and by exclusion criteria obtained 13 articles. Generally, coverage of HIV testing interventions in adolescents at increased each strategy. Community-based strategies appear to be more effective based on WHO standards, with coverage achieved around 80%, compared to health facility-based strategies with an average coverage of around 50%. HIV positive number reached 16% of health facilities. While the value of the highest achievements in community based around 12%.
Conclussions:Community-based intervention is better to reach teens, but the community component must collaborate well with the ease of access to health facilities for HIV testing services. Development interventions in adolescents need to be equipped with a research method that can provide a strong evidens about the effectiveness of coverage of HIV testing among adolescents. Such research is not yet performed in Indonesia.
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike 4.0 International License.
- Morineau, G., Bollen, L. J. M., Syafitri, R. I., Nurjannah, N., Mustikawati, D. E., & Magnani, R. (2012). HIV prevalence and risk behaviours among injecting drug users in six indonesian cities implications for future HIV prevention programs. Harm Reduction Journal, 9(1), 1. https://doi.org/10.1186/1477-7517-9-37
- Denison, J. A., Pettifor, A., Mofenson, L. M., Kasedde, S., Marcus, R., Konayuma, K. J., … Kerrigan, D. (2017). Youth engagement in developing an implementation science research agenda on adolescent HIV testing and care linkages in sub-Saharan Africa. AIDS, 0(April), 195–201. https://doi.org/10.1097/QAD.0000000000001509.
- Rokhmah, D. (2015). The Role of Sexual Behavior in the Transmission of HIV and AIDS in Adolescent in Coastal Area. Procedia Environmental Sciences, 23(Ictcred 2014), 99–104. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.proenv.2015.01.015
- Susanto, T., Rahmawati, I., Wuryaningsih, E. W., Saito, R., Kimura, R., Tsuda, A., … Sugama, J. (2016). Prevalence of factors related to active reproductive health behavior : a cross-sectional study Indonesian adolescent. epidemiologi and health, 1–10.
- National AIDS Control. (2007). Guidelines on HIV testing.
- Bekker, L., Johnson, L., Wallace, M., Hosek, S., & Roosevelt, F. D. (2015). Building our youth for the future. JIAS, 18(Suppl 1), 1–7.
- KPA. (2015). Lembar Fakta Pencegahan dan Penanggulangan HIV AIDS pada orang muda (usia 15 - 24 tahun). Jakarta.
- UNICEF. (2015). Adolescent Under The Radar In The Asia Pasific AIDS Response. Bangkok, Thailand.
- Govindasamy, D., Ferrand, R. A., Wilmore, S. M. S., Ford, N., Ahmed, S., Afnan-holmes, H., & Kranzer, K. (2015). Review article Uptake and yield of HIV testing and counselling among children and adolescents in sub-Saharan Africa : a systematic review. JIAS, 1–9.
- Peltzer, K., Matseke, G., & Peltzer, K. (2013). Determinants of HIV testing among young people aged 18 – 24 years in South Africa.
- Musumari, P. M., & Tangmunkongvorakul, A. (2016). Prevalence and Correlates of HIV Testing among Young People Enrolled in Non-Formal Education Centers in Urban Chiang Mai , Thailand : A Cross-Sectional Study. plos one, 1–16. https://doi.org/10.1371/journal.pone.0153452
- Gregory, Michele, Tonya, Jeffrey, and B. (2016). Low Rates of HIV Testing among Adolescent Gay, Bisexual, and Queer. J Adolesc Health, 57(4), 407–412. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jadohealth.2015.06.014.Low
- Kemenkes. (2015). Brief overview : HIV among Adolescent and Young Key Populations ( Aged 15-19 and 20-24 ) in Indonesia.
- Sybil, G. B. and H. (2015). HIV and adolescents : focus on young key populations ONLINE. JIAS.
- Ndibwire, V. (2003). EFFECTIVENESS OF HI V PREVENTION AND CONTRO L STRATEGIES AMONG SCHOOL ADOLESCENTS IN DODOMA URBAN DISTRICTS.
- Reif, L. K., Bertrand, R., Rivera, V., Louis, B., Peck, M., Anglade, B., … Pape, J. W. (2016). Community Based HIV and Health Testing for High -Risk Adolescents and Youth. AIDS PATIENT CARE, 30(8), 371–378. https://doi.org/10.1089/apc.2016.0102
- Kadede, K., Ruel, T., Kabami, J., Ssemmondo, E., Sang, N., Kwarisiima, D., … Havlir, D. V. (2017). Increased adolescent HIV testing with a hybrid mobile strategy in Uganda and Kenya. AIDS, 30(14), 2121–2126. https://doi.org/10.1097/QAD.0000000000001180.Increased
- Boyer, cherrie B. (2015). NIH Public AccessA comparison of network-based strategies for screening at Risk Hispanic/Latino Adolescents and Young Adults for Undiagnosed Asymtomatic HIV Infection. J Adolesc Health, 55(6), 765–773. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jadohealth.2014.07.009.A
- Labhardt, N. D., Motlomelo, M., Cerutti, B., Pfeiffer, K., Kamele, M., Hobbins, M. A., & Ehmer, J. (2014). Home-Based Versus Mobile Clinic HIV Testing and Counseling in Rural Lesotho : A Cluster-Randomized Trial. plos medicine, 11(12). https://doi.org/10.1371/journal.pmed.1001768
- Simms, V., Dauya, E., Dakshina, S., Bandason, T., Mchugh, G., Munyati, S., … Ferrand, R. A. (2017). Community burden of undiagnosed HIV infection among adolescents in Zimbabwe following primary healthcare-based provider- initiated HIV testing and counselling : A cross- sectional survey. plos medicine, 486(July 2015), 1–16.
- Ramirez-avila, L., Nixon, K., Noubary, F., Giddy, J., & Losina, E. (2012). Routine HIV Testing in Adolescents and Young Adults Presenting to an Outpatient Clinic in Durban , South Africa. plos one, 7(9), 5–9. https://doi.org/10.1371/journal.pone.0045507
- Kawichai, S., Chingono, A., & Khumalo-sakutukwa, G. (2012). Increases in HIV testing and case detection from NIHM Project Accept (HPTN 043) among 16-32 years old: A Randomized Community Based Intervention in Tanzania, Zimbabwe, and Thailand. Lancet Infect Dis., 11(7), 525–532. https://doi.org/10.1016/S1473-3099(11)70060-3.Increases
- Bodika, S. M., Lekone, P. E., Loeto, P., Alwano, M. G., Zulu, T. C., Kim, E., … Voetsch, A. C. (2016). Prevalence of HIV testing and counseling and associated factors among secondary school students in Botswana. Adolesc Med Health, 28(2), 149–154. https://doi.org/10.1515/ijamh-2014-0081
- UNAIDS. (2017). Young Pepole and HIV AIDS. Opportunity in crisis.
- Rudy, B. J. (2017). Adolescents and HIV, 197–204.
- Samples, C. L., & Trent, M. (2017). Did the 2011 AAP recommendations on youth HIV testing change practice ? Trends from a large urban adolescent program. Dovepress, 95–100.
- To end the AIDS epidemic, start focusing on adolescents _ UNAIDS. (n.d.).