Main Article Content
Background: This study aims to determine the relationship between online game addiction and depression tendencies in Indonesian adolescents. Online game has become a popular entertainment activity among various ages. If online game play is played excessively and continuously without self-control, then individuals will experience in online game addiction and have negative impacts such as poor social relations with family and friends, which causes online game addicts to often be isolated from society and prone to suffering from mental disorders such as depression.
Methods: This study uses a quantitative survey method. The research sample based on purposive sampling technique was conducted on 60 respondents who were Indonesian adolescents who actively played online games. The instruments used are Scales of Game Addiction for Adolescents and The Beck Depression Inventory
Results: The data analysis technique used a simple linear regression test with the SPSS Statistics 25 for Windows program. The results of the linear regression analysis test indicate that there is a significant relationship between online game addiction and depression. This is evidenced by the acquisition of a simple linear regression test significance value of 0.393 (<0.05).
Conclusion: The online game addiction has significant association with depression in Indonesian adolescents.
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike 4.0 International License.
- Kircaburun K, Pontes HM, Stavropoulos V, Griffiths MD. A brief psychological overview of disordered gaming. Curr Opin Psychol [Internet]. 2020;36:38–43. Available from: https://doi.org/10.1016/j.copsyc.2020.03.004
- Granic I, Lobel A, Engels RCME. The benefits of playing video games. Am Psychol. 2014;69(1):66–78.
- Lemmens JS, Valkenburg PM, Peter J. addiction scale for adolescentsDevelopment and validation of a game. Media Psychol. 2009;12(1):77–95.
- Surbakti K. Pengaruh Game Online Terhadap Remaja. J Curere. 2017;1(1):29.
- Griffiths MD. Gaming addiction in adolescence revisited. Educ Heal. 2014;32(4):125–9.
- Cummings CM, Caporino NE, Kendall PC. Comorbidity of Anxiety and Depression in Children and Adolescents : 20 Years After. 2014;140(3):816–45.
- Hankin BL, Abramson LY, Moffitt TE, Angell KE, Silva PA, McGee R. Development of depression from preadolescence to young adulthood: Emerging gender differences in a 10-year longitudinal study. J Abnorm Psychol. 1998;107(1):128–40.
- Puspitosari WA, Ananta L. Hubungan antara Kecanduan Online Game dengan Depresi. Mutiara Med. 2020;9(1):50–6.
- Djamba YK, Neuman WL. Social Research Methods: Qualitative and Quantitative Approaches. Vol. 30, Teaching Sociology. 2002. 380 p.
- Sugiyono. Metode Penelitian Kuantitatif. Bandung; 2019.
- Beck A, Steer R, Ball R, Ranieri W. Comparison of Beck Depression 1 in Psychiatric Inventories -1A and - Outpatients. J Pers Assess. 1996;67(3):588–97.
- Maria S, Lestari P, Malahayati U. Hubungan Kecanduan Bermain Game Online Dengan Depresi Pada Siswa SMP. 2021;(February).
- Sitorus N, Arfines PP, Suryaputri IY. Relationship between Online Game Addiction with Depression in Adolescents from 6 High Schools in Indonesia. Glob J Health Sci. 2020;12(12):43.
- Nangi, M. G., & Akbar, M. I. (2020). Faktor Yang Berhubungan Dengan Kejadian Depresi Pada Narapidana Di Lapas Klas Ii A Kendari Tahun 2017. Jurnal MediLab Mandala Waluya, 4(1 Juli), 69-80.
- Hu H, Zhang G, Yang X, Zhang H, Lei L, Wang P. Online Gaming Addiction and Depressive Symptoms Among Game Players of the Glory of the King in China: the Mediating Role of Affect Balance and the Moderating Role of Flow Experience. Int J Ment Health Addict. 2022;20(5):3191–204.
- Wei HT, Chen MH, Huang PC, Bai YM. The association between online gaming, social phobia, and depression: An internet survey. BMC Psychiatry. 2012;12.