Main Article Content
Background: This study was conducted on an initial survey by interviewing ten female students who experienced dysmenorrhea. Five of them reported their pain, although they could still carry out daily activities. Fourof themsaid the pain was in the lower abdomen, radiated to the back, and needed medication to relieve pain. At least their daily activities were not disturbed.One of them said in crying because of pain and could not get up or experienced a decreased range of consciousness, so she could not carry out daily activities even though she was taking medication to reduce pain intensity. Therefore, this study aimed to determine the effect of abdominal stretching exercises on reducing the power of dysmenorrhea pain in nursing department students.
Methods: The type of research used is pre-experimental with one group Pre-test Post-test design, namely analysis that uses one group of subjects. The population in this study was 289 female students, with a sampling technique using purposive sampling with 31 respondents. The analysis method uses a non-parametric statistical test, namely the Wilcoxon sign rank test, using a significant level of 0.1.
Results: Based on the statistical results, the value of the Wilcoxon test for reducing the pain intensity of dysmenorrhea in female students showed 0.000. It means that the significance value is less than 0.1 so that the hypothesis in this study is accepted. This implies that abdominal stretching exercise could decrease the intensity of dysmenorrhea pain in nursing department students in Stikes Mandala Waluya Kendari.
Conclusion: It is hoped that female students who experience dysmenorrhea prioritize non-pharmacological interventions to relieve pain.
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike 4.0 International License.
- Siahaan Kartika, Ermiati, Maryati Ida. 2012. Decrease in Dysmenorrhea Rates in UNPAD Nursing Students Using Yoga. Bandung-Sumedang.
- Anurogo Dito & Wulandari Ari. 2011. The Right Way to Overcome Menstrual Pain. Yogyakarta. Andi Offset.
- Fidiarti, M. 2018. The Effect of Abdominal Stretching Exercises and Classical Music on the Intensity of Menstrual Pain in Adolescent Girls. Journal of Nursing and Midwifery. Vol. 9. No.2 (133-138).
- Nurwana, Sabilu Yusuf, Fachlevy Andi Faizal. 2017. Analysis of Factors Associated With The incidence of dysmenorrhea in young women at SMA Negeri 8 Kendari. Jimkesmas. Vol. 2 no. 6: 250-731.
- Nikmah AN 2018. The Effect of Abdominal Stretching on Changes in Primary Dysmenorrhea Pain In Young Women. Journal of Midwifery. Vol. 4.No. 3.
- Andini MS 2019. The Relationship Of Nutritional Status And Stress Levels With The Incidence Of Dysmenorrhea At The Medicine Faculty of Muhammadiyah University Surakarta. Thesis. Medical School. Surakarta
- Desriani. 2016. The Effect of Classical Music Therapy on the Decrease in Menstrual Pain Scale (Dysmenorrhea) in Students of SMK Negeri 7 Konawe Selatan, Benua District. Thesis. Nursing Program Study. Kendari.
- Elvira Mariza & Tulkhair Annisa. The Effect of Endorphin Massage on Pain Scale in Students Who Experienced Dysmenorrhea. Long Field. Journal of Applied Science and Technology.
- Puspita L & Anjarwati T. 2019. The Effect of Abdominal Stretching Exercises on Menstruation Pain Intensity in Pelita Gedongtaan Pesawaran Vocational High School Students. Wellness And Healthy Magazine. Volume 1. Number 2.
- Bachtiar F, et al. A Comparison Of Hot Pack And Stretching Exercise On Primary Dysmenorrheal In Adolescent Girls. Indonesian Contemporary Nursing Journal. 4(1), 38-43
- Ismarozi Desti, Utami Sri, Novayelinda Riri. 2015. The Effectiveness of Dysmenorrhea Gymnastics on the Treatment of Primary Menstrual Pain in Adolescents. New Pecans. JOM. Volume 2.Number 1.
- Antari Dewa Ayu Chintya, Winaya Made Niko, Wiryanthini Ida AyuDewi. 2017. The Effectiveness of Giving Aromatherapy Abdominal Massage Eflurage Technique Compared with Abdominal Stretching Exercise on Reducing Primary Dysmenorrheal Pain in Young Girls Junior High School in Denpasar. Indonesian Physiotherapy Scientific Magazine. Volume 5. Number 3.
- Cahyana, NA. 2017. The Effectiveness of Dysmenorrhea Gymnastics on Reducing Menstrual Pain in Adolescents and Girls at SMAN 1 Watuputih, Watopute District, Muna Regency. Thesis. Nursing Program Study. Kendari
- Pangesti Retno Hayu, Lestari Gangsar Indah, Riyanto Ryanto. 2017. Primary Dysmenorrhea Pain Reduction In Adolescent Girls With Warm Compress. Metro City. Metro Sai Health Journal Wawai. Volume 10.Number 2.
- Ernawati, Seweng Arifin, bustan M. Najib. 2017. The Effect of Abdominal Stretching Exercises on Decrease in Menstrual Pain (Dysmenorrhea) Stikes Tanawali Persada Takalar Students. JST Health. Vol. 7 No. 4: 368-373
- Nurlisa. 2018. The Effect of Lavender Therapy on Reduction of Menstrual Pain (Dysmenorrhea) in 1st Semester Nursing Student at Stikes Mandala Waluya Kendari. Thesis. Nursing Program Study. Kendari.
- Silviani Yulita Elvira, Karaman Buyung, Septiana Puput. 2019. The Effect of Breathing Relaxation Techniques on Dysmenorrhea. Hasanuddin Journal of Midwifery. Volume 1. Issue 1.
- Azma A, et al. 2018. The Effect of Giving Abdominal Stretching Exercises on the Decrease of Menstrual Pain Intensity (Dysmenorrhea) in Young Women at Stikes Madani Yogyakarta. Journal of Health Madani Medika.Vol. 9 no. 2.
- Syaiful Yuanita & Naftallin Siti Varyal. 2018. Abdominal Stretching Exercise Reduces Pain Intensity of Dysmenorrhea in Young Women. Journal of Health Sciences Vol. 7 No. 1.
- Agustina Dewi, Maryaningsih, Agustin Liza. 2019. Differences in the Effect of Abdominal Stretching Exercise With Warm Compresses on Reducing Menstrual Pain (Dysmenorrhea) For Physiotherapy Students Stikes Siti Hajar Medan in 2018. Gentle Birth. Volume 2 No.1.
- Ningsih Dewi Andariya, Eliyawati, Setyawati Naimah Agus. 2018. Influence Abdominal Gymnastics Stretching on the Effectiveness of Reducing Primary Dysmenorrhea Pain in Young Women at MA Al-Amiriyyah Blokagung 2018. Scientific Journal: J-HESTECH. Vol. 1 No. 2.