Main Article Content
Background: The availability of sewerage was still a problem for people living in the coastal area of Samajaya Village. Where, the sewerage that met the requirements is only 58.33% in Samajaya village. The purpose of this study was to determine the effect of health promotion using booklet media on the level of public knowledge about sewerage in the coastal area of Samajaya village.
Methods: This study used the pre-experimental method with One Group Pre-test and Post-test Design. The population in this study were 131 heads of families in the village of Samajaya. Where, the sample size were 99 heads of families taken by simple random sampling. Data analysis used the Wilcoxon Sign Rank Test.
Results: The results of this study showed that there were 9 respondents with less knowledge 9.1%, and 90.9% sufficient during pre-test and post-test there were 13.1% with less knowledge and 86.9% with sufficient knowledge. The average value of respondents' knowledge was 7.44% ± SD.1.327. After being given a health promotion with a booklet about sewerage drainage, his knowledge increased on average 8.81% ± SD.1.639. The results of this study indicated that there were significant effect of health promotion with booklets on knowledge about sewerage in Samajaya village (p<0.0001).
Conclusion: health promotion with booklets is very effective in increasing community knowledge in Samanjaya village. Increasing public knowledge about sewerage is hoped that it will influence attitudes and actions to improve the sewerage according to health standards.
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike 4.0 International License.
- Behnam B, Oishi SN, Uddin SMN, Rafa N, Nasiruddin SM, Mollah AM, et al. Inadequacies in Hospital Waste and Sewerage Management in Chattogram, Bangladesh: Exploring Environmental and Occupational Health Hazards. Sustainability. 2020;12(0977):1–21.
- Palanca-Tan R. Health and water quality benefits of alternative sewerage systems in Metro Manila, Philippines. Environ Urban. 2017;29(2):123–31.
- Health Ministry of Republic of Indonesia. National report of basic health research 2018 (Indonesian: Laporan Nasional RISKESDAS 2018) [Internet]. Jakarta: Health Ministry of Republic of Indonesia; 2019. Available from: http://labdata.litbang.kemkes.go.id/images/download/laporan/RKD/2018/Laporan_Nasional_RKD2018_FINAL.pdf
- Health Department of Southeast Sulawesi Province. Health profile of Southeast Sulawesi Province in 2018. Kendari; 2019.
- Health Department of Konawe District. Health profile in 2019. Unaaha; 2020.
- Soropia Health Centre. Annual Health Report in Soropia Health Centre in 2019. Soropia; 2020.
- Knapp TR. Why Is the One-Group Pretest–Posttest Design Still Used? Clin Nurs Res. 2016;25(5):467–72.
- Chandra NN, Agustina. The effect of health promotion with booklet and video media on knowledge of balanced nutrition in adolescent at SMKN 1 Cikulur Banten. JPH RECODE. 2021;5(1):45–53.
- Nisa LLA, Setyawati S, Norra B. Increasing analytical thinking skills through a popup booklet development with digestive system. In: IOP Conf Series: Journal of Physics. 2019. p. 1–8.
- Oliveira SC de., Lopes MV de, Oliveira., Fernandes AFC. Development and validation of an educational booklet for healthy eating during pregnancy. Rev Latino-Am Enferm. 2014;22(4):611–20.
- Mello N da C, Góes FGB, Pereira-Ávila FMV, Moraes JRMM de, Silva LF da, Silva M da A. Construction and validation of an educational booklet for mobile devices on breastfeeding. Texto Context Enferm. 2020;29(20180492):1–14.
- Suleman Y, Tasnim T, Wahab H. Analysis of the influence of health education to improve mother’s knowledge in preventing stunting in Masolaka Raya Sub-District, Bombana District. Indones J Heal Sci Res Dev. 2021;3(1):129–35.
- Rehusisma LA, Indriwati SE, Suarsini E. Development of booklet and video learning media to strengthen the character of clean and healthy living (Indonesian: Pengembangan media pembelajaran booklet dan video sebagai penguatan karakter hidup bersih dan sehat). J Pendidikan,. 2017;2(9):1238–43.
- Walker D, Adebajo A, Heslop P, Hill J, Firth J, Bishop P, et al. Patient education in rheumatoid arthritis: the effectiveness of the ARC booklet and the mind map. Rheumatology. 2007;46:1593–6.
- Reberte LM, Hoga LAK, Gomes ALZ. Process of construction of an educational booklet for health promotion of pregnant women. Rev Latino-Am Enferm. 2012;20(1):101–8.
- Teles LMR, Oliveira AS de, Campos FC, Lima TM, Costa CC da, Gomes LF de S, et al. Development and validating an educational booklet for childbirth companions. Rev Esc Enferm USP. 2014;48(6):977–84.
- Insani TE, Tasnim T, Jayadipraja EA. The health promotion media to increase community’s positive perception about covid19 vaccination in Kendari City. Indones J Heal Sci Res Dev. 2021;3(3):52–62.
- Okobia MN, Bunker CH, Okonofua FE, Osime U. Knowledge, attitude and practice of Nigerian women towards breast cancer: A cross-sectional study. World J Surg Oncol. 2006;4(11):1–9.